I hate the long Image Collages with big titles that dominate Pinterest nowadays. And yet, I do them. I do them, because they WORK. Since I started creating what I call “Image Collages” for my posts, I’ve definitely noticed an increase in repins.
Besides the fact that they DO stand out on Pinterest, the fact is, if you DON’T do them, then you’re putting yourself at a disadvantage as more and more bloggers use them.
But I don’t want Image Collages in my posts. I don’t think they look good – they are way too “in your face”. So I hide them in my posts so they only appear as an option to pin when a reader Pins a post.
** Update: As at 23 May 2015, there is an issue with WordPress that is causing problems with this but it does eventually work. After hiding the image, save the post, view it and Pin it. The collage may not be there. If you go back to the code, the photos is gone, though the Hide code is still there. Reinsert the image, then save and it should work ok. *
HOW TO HIDE AN IMAGE IN A POST (but still appears as a pinnable image)
1. Insert the Image Collage into a post – you can do it anywhere in the post. Don’t forget to insert Alt text which will appear as the default description when the image is pinned!
2. You will probably be in Visual mode as most people write in this mode. So flick over to the Text mode and locate the code for the image.
3. Insert this code in front of the image code:
<div style="display: none;">
And if you don’t already have
</div> after the image code, insert that too (so you don’t hide the next sentence / image).
This is how it should look.
4. When you flick back to the Visual mode, the image shouldn’t be visible.
5. When you view the post, the image will be hidden.
6. But when you click on the Pin It button, the Image Collage appears as a pinning option!
You can see a demo of how it works in this post here which is the one I used in the above walk through: One Pot Greek Chicken & Lemon Rice
Hope you find this tip useful! And please don’t forget to pop over and thank Maggie from Omnivore’s Cookbook who taught me how to do this!